Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Thursday, January 26, 2012

I'm back... with a vengeance!

I decided to do a triathlon in October, and a lot of changes have taken place since then. My goal to do a tri has not changed... but it has gotten a bit bigger. I think now that things are full throttle, I need to start journaling a bit.  May not be every day, but hopefully this will show progression.

Since October ~ jeesh!  Okay.  Well, I most definitely hit whatever weight goal I was trying to obtain.  I don't really step on a scale much anymore.  I am currently between 150-155 pounds and am a size 2-4.  All of my work clothes are a size 4 and I wear those.  I'm a size 25 or 26 jean, or a Small.  Whatever.  So, I'm where I should be. There was a period that I was losing too quickly and I had to seriously start eating more during the day.  I'm happy I was still weighing myself then. I had almost 6 weeks that I barely worked out at all. I got bronchitis that turned into pneumonia.  I broke 3 ribs from the horrible coughing fits.  I cannot remember being as sick as I was.  It was absolutely terrible.  It was also crushing to my morale.  I was finally, after so long, back in shape and in a routine and felt strong.  To have this happen was just demoralizing.  I still have a cough occasionally, still cough up crap a few times a week and my ribs are still tender.  But I FEEL fine and don't feel like any of this is keeping me down.  So, that is good.  Craziness.

So, the goal for me was to start my training on January 1.  As I learned more about training for a triathlon, I learned it doesn't really work like that.  You don't just start and go for 7 months.  There are 20 week programs, but that is really the limit.  And other than that, you are in maintenance.  And, the more I looked around, the more races of different kinds I wanted to do as training.  And, the more I realized I needed a lot of conditioning.

First things first, I needed to buy a bike.  We started at one price point... and somehow we BLEW past that and I ended up with a amazing bike. I did NOT get a tri bike, but a bike that we could outfit to be a tri bike when I get to that point.  The bike part scares me still.  I know how to ride a bike, but the technical part of biking scares the bejesus out of me.  Still.  I am getting to the point I am at least okay with the fact I am going to fall off and am going to get hurt.  I am becoming one with it.  So this is my bike.  It is 2012 Cervelo S2.  I do love it.

I have become associated (customer, regular) with a bike shop that specializes in triathlons/triathletes.  Best is it is literally a 5 mile drive (how long will that take me to ride???) down the street.  I also have some bike clothes!  This is a big deal because I really think that bike shorts are the most unsexy piece of clothing ever invented.

Okay, on to the run.  I am currently in training for a half-marathon (more on that in a bit).  Running is going well, I guess.  I don't know exactly how far I can run because I'm doing a training program, but my pace is SOOOOOOOO much better than when I started this blog.  I was doing like an 11 minute mile or something. Now, I can maintain a 8:30 or better.  And I still don't hate running.  I do need new running shoes like you wouldn't believe.  But my God, it is only the 26th of January and this month I think I have spent more on tri gear than I have made working.

And the swim.  So - I really thought I would get in the pool and be... okay.  Yea, no.  About 3 weeks ago I brought Ellen with me to the pool one weekend.  Just thought we would do some laps.  I almost died after 200m (8 laps).  While Ellen was barely out of breath after 10.  She was amazing and I was in awe.  And I knew immediately I had better start really working out in the pool or I was screwed.  I got to researching the very next day. I had some problems - 3 of them, meaning my kids.  The schedule is getting tighter and tighter because Hubs is ALSO training for the half marathon, oldest daughter continues to swim 3 mornings a week, and I still work full time.  So fitting in swimming, too?  ARGH.

Started looking at gyms with pools in my area.  Requisites were proximity to my house and open early.  Nothing was blowing my skirt up, but I had to find something!  I was also looking at swimming masters programs, which are swim teams (you don't HAVE to compete, though some people do...like those former Olympians on the teams. WOW!) for adults.  I happen to find one that practices right near my house on Tuesday and Thursday (best days for me due to E's swim practices) from 5:30-6:30am (would love it to be earlier, but....).  So, I contacted head coach, and WOW!!  It just HAPPENS to be the practice sessions for the Triathlon team associated with my bike shop!!  So, it isn't a regular masters program, it is ALL tri swim!  They teach how to maximize your freestyle for tris, don't worry about flip turns and such, and concentrate on efficiency for triathlons! HOLY COW!  I don't know how I managed to just walk into that!

I did my first practice with them on Tuesday and I thought I was going to die. Seriously.  I'm in the 3rd slowest lane and couldn't finish the drills. Any of them.  Today?  Well... today was awesome.  No, I didn't finish.  But I was taken out of the pool and individually coached by the head coach.  I mean, it was basically like I was taught to swim again.  I was flailing my arms all over the place, it was crazy!  And for the next two weeks, I don't get to swim with my legs.  I have to put a pull buoy in between my legs and just use my arms to concentrate on my body/breathing form.  I'm telling you what - this is awesome.  I feel completely and totally like "I am going to rock this swim thing."  I don't know why, but I walked out of practice today and felt so secure.  Yea, it was almost a step back, but for me, it was a sense of total security.  Weird? Maybe.  But totally exhilarating.

SO - what are my events this year?  Here you go.

March 17 - Half Marathon (with hubs)
April 12 - Sprint Triathlon
May 20 - Half Marathon (with hubs)
June 17 - Sprint Triathlon
July 22 - Olympic Triathlon
September 9 - Olympic Triathlon
October 28 - Marathon (with hubs)

This post is long enough... promise they won't all be this long but wanted to update!  Love ~ R

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Holy shit! That is a lot of events!!!! Oh Guru, you are an inspiration - for sure!

I am DETERMINED that by the end of next year, I will be a runner. That gives me 2 years to get it together.

Thank you for updating. It was depressing to check everyday and see the same post from October. lol So not I have a renewed excitement for my blog trolling in the morning. haha

Rebecca said...

Dude, you totally can run! Do the Couch 2 5K program. I met a woman at the gym this weekend (yes, I had to run at the f'ing gym... GAK!) who was losing weight - in the process - but DAMN! Her endurance was great! I complimented her on it because you and I BOTH know how important it is to get that boost. When she told me that I inspired her, I HAD to tell her my story so that she didn't just think I was another skinny bitch showing off. We talked a long time. She was doing amazing!! Seriously her endurance was AWESOME and she said it was all c25k. I'm all about it now. A TOTAL convert after talking to her!

Post a Comment