Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Friday, January 27, 2012

Let’s Talk…. Sports Nutrition!

Something I’ve been looking a lot into lately is sports nutrition.  Not what I eat on a daily basis (that’s a whole other post, or 6), but what I ingest during long training sessions and what I will take in during my races.  It really is a science and one, as a new endurance athlete (woooot!), I need to pay a lot of attention to. For so many years, I have only thought about to eating to lose weight ~ this is a very new thing to me.  Eating for immediate energy, slow burn energy, and recovery energy.  Serious business!

NOTE: What I’m putting here is not about shorter periods of exercise, under 90 very vigorous, constant minutes.  If you start using some of these things, you could gain weight, not sleep, etc.   Just a little disclaimer.


There is so much to learn.  And I have to completely change how I think about certain things.  For instance, simple sugars are GOOD when you are exercising.   You need carbs in your ratio… it is required.  But if you have too much, you will be sluggish. Finding that ratio is VERY important.  Carb loading is ESSENTIAL before a race (ME? CARB LOAD? ARGH!!).  Eating more fat will increase your overall endurance, though won’t affect your performance (I am unsure how I feel about this one).  Runners REALLLLLY don’t need to add more carbs to their daily diets.  Most runners, except the most elite ones, truly do get enough eating like an everyday non- athletes. 2 grams of carbs per body weight daily is what everyone needs. 

On top of all of the normal nutritional stuff, there is all of  the sports nutrition stuff.  While I’m not doing super long runs, swims, or bikes right now, I want to make sure that my body is used to whatever nutrition I intend to use before I get out on the trails.  The last thing I want is to have a 30 mile ride scheduled and to get sick to my stomach 10 miles from home!  So I’m experimenting a bit.

Basically, there are a few things you need to find when you are doing endurance anything.  Of course, the most important is water. ABSOLUTELY, it is water.  Even if you are also using a sports drink supplement, water has to be primary.  The two other things are a solid and an energy supplement.

For ENERGY - right now, I am trying out Gu.  And thankfully, it is something my stomach can tolerate, because I know many people can’t.  I like it a lot because it is so easy to take and, depending on what type you take, it really hits quickly and sustains well.  There are two types – regular and the newish Roctane.
  I’ve used both and both are different and used for different distances (Roctane is for longer endurances as it has caffeine and a lot more enzymes for slow burn and recovery.  It is pretty hard core and about double the price).  I am going to try other energy gels, but Gu is a winner for me.


For SOLID – Protein is a biggie with me.  I’m a protein junkie and even on shorter 6-8 mile runs need ½ a protein bar 3-4 miles in.  If it is a protein bar to get me through, I am good with that.  I will be trying out a lot of things.  High on my list is Perpetuem Hammer Solids.  They come in a powder that you mix while 

biking/running, but I am the most uncoordinated person on the planet.  The thought of doing ANYTHING like that while running is insane… while BIKING??? ARE YOU F’ING INSANE????  I’ve read a lot about the powder and what it does and I really like it.  While the chalky dry of the solids scares me a bit, I am such a water junkie, I think doing 3 at a water station is something really beneficial to me.  I’ll have to try.


If anyone is reading this and has things that have worked for them, I’d love to know.  I am also looking for recovery drinks.  I’m big into that.  Really, all I’ve done is coconut water.  I really would rather not get into mad concoctions if I don’t have to (blender, etc.). But whatever works!

Have a great weekend!!!

*muah* ~ R

No comments:

Post a Comment