Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The pool ... here little fishy

Just back from a 5 mile run.  It started to drizzle about halfway through, but it is almost 50 degrees (on February 1!) so I can’t really complain too much.  I really like running in my neighborhood, especially running at 4am like I do.  It is really hilly, tough hills, too.  So I know that when I get out into a race, I will go even faster and longer.  At least this is what I keep telling myself in hopes it is true.  Did 5 in around 40ish minutes.

Yesterday was a swimming day ~ my third in the pool.  And my first not being able to use my legs. Yea, you read that right.  For two weeks, I have to keep a pull buoy between my legs and only swim with my
arms.  Seems my head placement and breathing was severely jacked up. Last Thursday, the head coach pulled me aside and totally corrected how I was swimming. When he was done, I felt like I was flailing around like a jackass… then he changed me some more, gave me a drill to do, put a buoy between my legs, and bam. 

So, I’m still in the 3rd slowest lane.  I’m with one very serious woman who doesn’t seem real thrilled that the new girl isn’t keeping up - but she is still nice.  Then two really nice women who are so supportive ~ one of them has done 3 Ironman!  Swimming isn’t her best event but she does it (obviously) and gets the job done. 

The beginning of practice yesterday, I had my little buoy and was doing what is called a “catch up” with my arms.  Very slow, and very deliberate, you bring one arm forward and while that arm is still in front of you reaching, you bring the other arm ahead and catch up to the forward arm.  It is slow going, but it does help you a great deal with form and balance.  Ed had told me to do that for the two weeks… so what did I know (I thought he meant the whole time)?  Drill after drill, I kept falling behind my lane, but I was doing it!  Then we hit the drill at 4x500.  Ugh. LONG. And my arms were dying.  Luckily, the coach that always watches my lane, Kim (love her) told me I didn’t have to do catch up on longer drills.  And I started to really keep up!  I NEVER keep up on long drills and end up sitting out after 200 meters or so… But I was doing it!

This is huge for me.  With my chin against my chest, I was really getting into a groove.  MAN, my arms were burning and I know I am going to be flying after these two weeks are up.  I can already feel the difference in my stroke and am really working on breathing on both sides (much harder than correcting my head position).  A really good thing is that I didn’t have a headache coming out of the pool, which I’m sure is from my neck position.

So, made it probably 2500 meters+ yesterday… and was in SUCH a good mood all day because of it.
I know I’m going to hit walls in my training, but these early hurdles I’m crossing ~ just the foundations I’m laying ~ are making me feel like maybe, just maybe, I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment