Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Monday, February 6, 2012

Rushing through... with not enough time

I’m trying to find something good to say about my weekend’s physical activities.  Really, there isn’t much.  Okay, I got 8 miles in.  But it wasn’t pretty.  My time was fine, but mentally I was way off and I did exactly what I should not have done afterward… RUSH! And it through me off the rest of the day.

According to my training schedule, I should have done my 8 on Saturday but I put it off, and I’m not sorry at all I did.  Hubs and I were spending some time together and it was really nice to just wake up with him instead of waking up to an alarm, jumping out of bed and immediately going to run/bike/swim, etc.  But, waking up before church to run on Sunday meant that I got home, had to rush to shower, dress, throw down a bottle of water, etc… Didn’t get to cool down and stretch.  It was bad news for me. I was slurring words and was really out of it.  It REALLLY affects me to run for an hour and then just go again.  BAAAAD news.  Luckily I was able to get 45 minutes of nap/rest in mid-day and was okay-ish after that. 

I will admit, I also woke up on Sunday just really not wanting to run.  There were many times during the run I thought about aborting. “Is it really a big deal if I don’t finish? Nobody will really know.”  Or “My hips hurt. Is my knee hurting?  Should I stop?”  I was just a bundle of negativity.  I didn’t stop… but I thought about it.  A lot.  Just not a good attitude.

Didn’t get a single bit of exercise in besides that. I’m okay with it, though.  I’m only a month into this training thing and I’m okay with not going full throttle quite yet.  It will come soon enough.  I think this week I’m going to add a day of weight training in.

So, huge surprise here!!! I’m finding TIME to be my biggest enemy in training.  I have my mornings pretty well scheduled but I need to find more time to train.  But I need to spend time with my husband and kids.  And I need to work.  Oh, and sleep.  The biggest loser here is the bike. I’m putting in my time on my run and swim and I feel pretty good there, but my bike is losing out.  I think I can add in more on the weekends, and I need to get up on the trainer at night to get my stroke stronger and cleaner.  Perhaps I can bring my trainer to work and get some time in during lunches.  Trying to go for creative solutions and not get frustrated.

I am considering joining a triathlon group training club/program. I went to a full information session yesterday… and gave a big “hmmmmmm”. If you’ve been following along, I mentioned that my swim team is associated with a triathlon program.  It’s called Team Z and it is a pretty intense group program that is part 
social, part way competitive… as in they have had people place in the top 4 in nationals numerous times. Um, yea.  They also have people finish dead last (WOO HOO!) so they are all over the board.  The program is really incredible – set into tracks based on ability, they set it so everyone finishes bikes/run at the same time.  A full set of coaches for each event, they also have yoga, boot camp, strength training, etc., all week.  So you can do like 20 different sessions if you want/have time (yea, right).  The head coach wants me to do it because he says (and is full of shit) that I’ll be a strong asset. I think he is a good salesman. 

I AM intrigued because obviously having coaches in all aspects, as well as medical professionals helping in other aspects, and clinics for other parts, would be wildly beneficial.  But, I’ve just requested a weekly schedule of the sessions so I can see if it is worth the money.  Time is already stretched thin ~ is it worth it?  But then again, am I going to really be able to do this if I can’t fit more in?  And am I going to really be happy with my results if I DON’T do this?

Deep breath… deep breath…

No comments:

Post a Comment