Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

4.5 days and counting... Leading the Tri-Life

It has been a rough week and a half for me, health wise. Which obviously couldn’t have come at a worse time because my first triathlon is this Sunday.  It seems these things are cropping up right before an event ~ but this time, I’ll be there!  Despite the antibiotics I have been on for my strep which I found out I had at 4am on Wednesday, I developed a nasty head cold that went into my chest. Nothing too bad, but uncomfortable and sapped my energy.  A whole week without swimming, days without running, and very little energy.  A bike ride on Saturday aborted because I didn’t dress for the weather (froze – literally – after 10 miles)… a minor car accident, issues at work ~ seriously, it was just not a good week.

But, I’m breathing better now, I’m sleeping better now, and I’m eating better now. It is only Tuesday and I’m committed to being at 100% by this weekend.  I was really unhappy with how I did at swimming today ~ my stroke felt great, but my endurance was horrible, mostly due to my low energy.  I need to get out after work and practice my transition from swim to bike.  And I need to make sure I keep drinking my water and eating well, which I’ve been pretty good with so far.

These are my commitments this week.  Because I have less than 4.5 days left!

I’ve been talking to other people who lead this crazy life that I have started to lead.  Those of us that work and have families, but that also live the “Tri Life.”  Someone told me that a triathlete has a natural ability to endure challenges and setbacks, to push through pain, and to achieve their goals.  This isn’t just physical, this is a life ability. Some tap into this better physically, some mentally and some emotionally.  But once it is on, it is ON and they are unstoppable.  We (almost “we!”) are a “I CAN” people because that is who we are.  “I can’t” isn’t in our vocabulary.

Being in triathlons means being very purposeful about your existence, especially when you have a job and family.  There is no time to waste and every second means something.  Even down time is important ~ and scheduled.  But this is the life we want to live.  Getting up early to and working out twice a day, living this lifestyle, and asking those we love to help us – this is an intentional existence that I love so far and I’m trying to share with those that I love the most.

And living this life means you have to maintain a strong balance of body, mind and spirit.  There is so much that is mental about endurance activities – triathlons and marathons – that goes far beyond the physical.  Even those athletes in the best physical condition can have bad days because their mind isn’t in it.  It is creating balance and knowing you are feeding your soul and your body and creating peace in your life which is going to let you achieve top physical shape.  Triathletes have to focus so much on balance – this is why some are the most fit people on the planet (um… not me.  Just to let you know.)

I’m all about creating balance in my life.  If I have learned one thing in the past three years, it is that I am a worker bee, a mom, a wife, a friend, but also I am Rebecca.  And Rebecca is a girl that gets a lot out of all of this.  It keeps me sane (well… sane-ish).  I’m not doing this to win any medals or be the top of any field.  I’m doing it because it is there.  And for me.  And that feels pretty great. 

1 comment:

Anna said...

Great post!! If there's anyone out there who was born/destined to live the tri-life, it is you, my friend! I'm so proud of you and I'll be thinking abut you on Saturday!!

Post a Comment