Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Why? For ME, that why!


Today went well. I love days I can say that because not all days are like that.  It feels so good to be back on a program.  Now I have my runs scheduled and my swims (at least two days a week) scheduled.  Now, I need to work on some kind of bike program or routine and I’ll feel great. 

Tuesdays and Thursdays will be run/swim double days for me.  A bit brutal because they will be TRUE doubles, so one right after the other.  It is a lot on my body, but have to do it.  So today was 4 miles of hills then swim.  The hills were tough – I have some GREAT ones in my neighborhood, though it did get drop dead boring running around the same streets for half an hour. I know this is going to be great for me though.  And is really supposed to help with my endurance for the long, long runs later.  It’s only a 25 mile week this week so that isn’t bad – long run is only 9 miles. 

Then swimming – WAS OKAY!  We didn’t have any SUPER long drills, which is to my benefit. But, the good news is that I completed each drill!  I didn’t stop, I didn’t walk, I kept going.  This is a big deal for me.  I figured out that besides the concentration thing (still true, still working on it), I need to SLOW DOWN.  My speed will come. I need to not worry about anyone else in my lane. Okay, yea… I’m in a slow lane. But still, they are faster than me.  And I can’t worry about it.  I tried going to an even slower lane, but I’m faster than them, so I stayed in my lane, I didn’t let it bother me that I was dead last, someone lapped me at one point… I just did my thing.  And I finished! 

It’s like running – it comes.  I think I started in January with an 11:00 minute mile.  I run about 8:40 now.  It doesn’t just happen… you work up to it.  And I don’t like RUNNING with anyone, hate someone else dictating my pace.  Why would it be any different swimming?

So, maybe this was a turning point? (not trying to think about maybe it just being a good day…)

Someone asked me yesterday why I started all of this.  And I gave my normal answer, “because I was bored.”  And that is really, really true.  If you have been reading along, you know that I got bored.  With my workouts, with work.  I was bored.  I needed something to really challenge me and to give me some sense of “me.” 

It’s that sense of ME that is missing from that answer.  I like having something that nobody else I know is doing.  It is mine. I can research it on my own, I can train on my own.  I look to my brother for help on certain things, I meet new people who inspire me.  But when I accomplish something, it is mine.

That sounds selfish – but for being an extrovert, I’ve become much more introspective and personal about my time and my things as I’ve gotten older. Every woman should have things they are proud of – and that should go beyond their kids.  This is mine.  It’s why I analyze every workout and why I wrote a blog post for each event for my triathlon.  Not because I want to kick everyone’s ass next race.  But because it is mine.  Something I care about.

But… that being said, I do love that #1 has started looking at USAT’s youth program.  When my brother starts kicking my butt when he recovers from his surgery, I’ll have a problem.  When/if Ellen starts to compete, I’ll be in awe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment