Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Friday, February 3, 2012

Injuries are not acceptable (an athlete’s prayer)

We got some yuck news today and it shook me up a bit.  A few years ago, right around the time I got preggo with #3, Hubs had been running pretty regularly. He looked and felt great – his back and hip were fine, and he was really happy with where he was physically.  But all of a sudden, his knee really started hurting.  Out of the blue when he started running about 6 miles regularly, he was in complete and total agony.  Referral in hand, he went to an amazing sports therapist in our area and after an MRI and Xray, was told to start a steroid and some PT…. Unfortunately, Mr. Stubborn didn’t do either because we were moving at that time and having a baby.  So, he just let it go and time healed the pain.

Fast forward to current day, and my man and I start to train for the first event of the season, the half marathon in March.  I am SO proud of him for doing this because he is coming out of retirement… meaning, he hasn’t really been working out regularly at all.  But, for the past week, 4 weeks into our program, his knee has been killing him. KILLING him. So, back to the doc today and the prognosis isn’t good.  He’ll be out the first half, and we are hoping right now that this new treatment they are putting him on is going to allow him to be back for the 2nd half.  But I am MAKING him follow it!  It is better for him in the long run.  And I want my man WHOLE! 

I know how frustrated I got at the end of last year when I got so sick.  I was hitting my physical high again ~ getting back into a really good routine, feeling super strong, and really feeling like, when I started to train, I was going to be okay.  Then, bronchitis followed by pneumonia hits.  Broken ribs.  I just couldn’t get better.  It was crushing to not be able to do anything and wanting to…. And hurting so damn bad.

I have a pretty high pain tolerance and feel confident that I can work through some falls and sprains, pulled muscles, broken fingers and toes, and random things like that.  I’m still frustrated as hell that my ribs still hurt and taking a deep breath makes me grimace, but… it isn’t like I’m going to not run or swim – duh.  But what if something serious happens?  What if my knee gives, or what if when I was running the other day and twisted my ankle… it broke (hurt enough running 2 more miles on it!)?

I’m sitting here telling Matt that it’s okay he’ll miss the first half, trying to reassure him and tell him it’s a good thing that he’s getting this taking care of.  But would I be okay with it if I get hurt and have to miss one of my 7 events this year?

I really need to start stretching more.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment