Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Getting things in order

Just realized I haven’t written here in awhile.  No real reason except I’ve been trying to get my head around some things.  I know… that is when I really SHOULD be writing.  Oh well.

I have been doing some soul searching, some meditating, some praying, and some organizing… and got my heart and head around what I need to do to feel better about my time situation, my nutrition, and just my general mood about this.  If I WANT to do this, then why aren’t I having FUN with it?  And if I’m not, then I shouldn’t be doing it. Plain and simple.

Step by step, here is what I’ve done:

  • I ordered some books.  One is a book on triathlon training that is one of the most heralded books for certified coaches around.  MUCH more technical than I understand or need, it has already proven to be very helpful (more on this).  The second is a nutrition book for athletes.  Again, very technical, and one I haven’t gotten into 100%, but already has helped me.
  • I’ve set priorities.  Getting my priorities straight got me healthy (my soul) before.  I think I needed to get my priorities straight when it came to my training.  I need to look to July and September as my BIG races and what my ultimate goals are this season, but need to take steps incrementally so I don’t get overwhelmed.  I think I started to get way overwhelmed.
  • I started to realize that I have only been training for less than 2 months.  Yea, I may have had this idea for four months, I need to give myself some credit.  In February of 2011, I was still over 200 pounds.  Now, I have some great goals I am working toward that are lofty, but within reach.  I should be proud of myself, and not beating up on myself for not being even further along.

So, first off, I have mentally, which will soon turn into a reality, turned each of my days into a 24-hour spreadsheet.  I’ve built in sleep, personal time, work, etc.  That way, I can see when I have time to get in workouts.  I got this idea from my training book and think it is really going to help me.  I am SUCH a visual person.  I think once I see that I have THIS time to work out on THIS day, and THIS time on THAT day… I may actually have more time than I think!  Plus, I think it is going to help a lot now that the days are getting longer. 

Second, Hubs and I had a nice talk about how I’m feeling regarding nutrition, some changes I’d like to make, and how to do this.  I really don’t want this to become something where I’m eating all my meals different from everyone… but we could stand to make some changes (especially those nights the big girlies aren’t around) in our diet.  And I don’t want it to cost a damn fortune.  I think we have a good game plan, at least to start with.  
A BIG change so far is the yummy breakfast (quick and powerful) I’ve added, and another snack.

And it really was a bit eye opening when I realized that it isn’t yet the end of February yet.  And I really am doing okay.  Not great, but I am okay.  I’m going to be proud of myself. For today ;-)

This weekend, I had a pretty good workout weekend.  I got up on Saturday and ran right about 13 miles.  It was a fairly flat trail I ran on, and I definitely wasn’t pushing my time.  At 13 miles, the longest I’ve ran in years, my goal was to get ‘er done. I also was experimenting with some different nutrition and when I took it.  The longer I’m running, the more I’m realizing how technical a sport running is!  When you drink, when you eat, when you push your legs a bit, when you slow it down.  You really DO need to think.  But, even with not pushing at all, I came in at 1:50, which I’m really happy with.  I really do think I can get the half marathon in March, barring anything unforeseen, under 2:00. I will be really psyched!

I got up on yesterday, Monday, morning and did a spin class, followed by a short run on the treadmill.  The spin class showed me that I DO need to get on my bike more. YOWSA.  But it was fun. The run after showed me that, wow… transition is going to be hard.  But I can do it!  I was happy about that.  I really do think that I am truly going to love to bike and can’t wait for the days to get longer so I can get out more.

Then… there is swimming.  GAWD, I am frustrated.  I’m going to hold off on that until tomorrow, because this has been a positive post thus far.  :-D  I DID swim this morning, and DID complete the workout.  I was all set to go to the gym today at lunch to lift (I am going to get at least one day of lifting in a week), but have been dealing with a pretty bad headache today and had to take two codeine pills to knock it out… thinking NOT a good thing to lift on codeine. ;-)

OH!!!! BIG THING!  I have decided to give up CHOCOLATE for Lent!  Triple purposes here.  First, thinking of what would be a big sacrifice for me, this seems logical.  Second, thinking of something that my kids would notice and see that I was making a change in, sacrificing, and DOING in the name of Lent, as an example.  Third, well… selfishly.  I NEED to do this.  The shear amount of chocolate I eat is really disgusting.
I won’t lie.  I’m eating a LOT of chocolate today to prepare.

~ R 

2 comments:

Kath said...

Hmmm, I think I could run a marathon more effortlessly than giving up chocolate!! Ha! Seriously though, it sounds like you have a great plan. Step by step, day by day. You have a LOT planned in this next year and some races might go great, others might be tougher, but you ARE out there training and setting goals. That's the most important thing, right? And DAMN, you ran 13 miles as a training run! Remember when we thought 2 miles was tough?! (Oh right, it still is for me!) ;)

Keep up the good work, I'll be cheering you on!

~ Kath

Rebecca said...

This chocolate thing is really going to stink. I was thinking about it this morning on my drive in. I wonder if this seems like a cop out to some people? Like I am doing "Lent Light"? But, if so, they REALLY don't understand me at all. Me, who easily can devour an entire bag of Dove chocolate just because it is there and I feel like it. Or a box of samoas, etc. It's CHOCOLATE. It's going to be really tough... but also good for me, for the girls to see, and as a sacrifice.

I was just talking to a friend today who has done a bunch of marathons. She was set on qualifying for Boston last year at the Marine Corps Marathon (which I'm doing this October... NOT that I'll be trying to qualify for Boston... HAHAhAHAH!). And she fell apart at mile 20. Just, fell apart. She's like me in that why do things just to do them, but at the same time, if it does fall apart, there is another thing down the line. I just have to remember that. :-D

And THANK YOU for your support. I really, realllllllly appreciate it. Always have.

Post a Comment