Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Powering through ~ with logs as legs ~ to a double

Part of my weight loss “technique” was  to do some pretty serious workouts.  I know this seriously contributed to how quickly I lost weight, but I also know it also is why me being interested in doing serious endurance sports like marathons and triathlons makes sense for me.  Because I am a working mom in a pretty high pressure position and do have 3 pretty intense kiddos, the only way to put in serious workouts is to get up really early.  So for years, I made it routine to get up at around 4am to run 3 or so miles then get to the gym as it opened at 5am to lift weights, 4 or 5 days a week. 

I really do love to lift and free weights are amazing.  When I started to lift, it sent my metabolism through the roof and changed my body completely.  I don’t lift light ~ I really push.  No, not like body builder weight, but why go light when you can go heavy?  Why do anything easy when it can be harder?

Over the past month of so, I have had to cut down how much I weight train because of everything else I’m doing ~ running, swimming, biking.  Weight training IS still important, as is a variety of other exercises, like yoga, hiking, etc.  But maybe one day a week, and I miss it.

~~~~ That was just a little aside.

My legs feel like logs today, attached at the end of my legs, kinda just hanging there.  They aren’t really sore, but just heavy.  Part of my problem is that I’m not stretching well.  When I say “well”, I mean more than touching my toes a few times before and after I work out.  See, I’ve never HAD to really stretch.  I was always uber flexible and could work out hard for hours and never be sore, never pull anything.  I’m 34 now… and I need to stretch.  Hubs is NOT as flexible as I (still) am and has an old hip injury that causes him issues, as well as bad back.  He REALLY needs to stretch.  He went to a massage therapist last week that gave him a number of stretches to help him, most importantly after his runs.  So, we just both need to get better.  I’m going to research a really good pre- and post- workout (for all my stuff) stretching routine and really try to keep up on it.  Because these legs are just funky right now.

THAT being said ~ I powered through this morning.  For the first time in awhile, I doubled up.  I really, really do mean it when I say I powered through because not only did the legs not want me to work out, but I just had a SOUR attitude when I woke up.  It was 50 degrees, but raining and I wanted nothing more than to go back to bed.  But, I got dressed and ran, at a pretty good clip, 3 VERY hilly miles – in the rain.  Came home and toweled off, drank some water and faked stretched while I cooled down, then ate a half a peanut butter on wheat sandwich, changed into my suit, and went to swim practice!  I DOUBLED!  Been a long time since I did a double, right after another (I’ve doubled during the day, but not on top of each other). 

And, I had a good practice.  Completed everything and stayed on pace with my group.  AND even led some drills, which is good.  Feeling pretty good about my stroke, which is nice.  Working on making sure I rotate my hips with my stroke (a new critique), which is definitely helping my breaths come easier.
So, besides being pretty hungry and my legs being led, I feel good.  Attitude is better, the grumps are gone… and I doubled.  

This is good.  Another hurdle.

No comments:

Post a Comment